Sunday, June 10, 2007

Broken Camera and Other Lame Excuses

I have not written in my blog because...

1. my camera is broken, finally, completely, utterly. No pictures to post makes me feel lame now.

2. I have been really really really really busy at school. It's quarterly progress report time and one more reminder that I don't REALLY know what I'm doing! Lumina and I stayed here at the school writing the reports until 1 am thursday night. Problem #1...I care too much about making it flow...at one point I had to remind myself that the people reading the reports are less University professor, more English As A Second Language Korean parents. That helped ease the stress a little bit, but it still made for an insane couple of days...

3. I got my 3rd calling at church...I'm now the Nursery Leader, choir pianist and activities committee member. Nothing like a branch to make use of every talent you never knew you had. But this time, the joke is on them. I can play like three hymns, so I guess our choir is going to get really good at "God Be With You Till We Meet Again".

4. I've been too busy bearing my testimony "sniff sniff, I didn't want to come, but...snivle snivel, now I'm so glad I did because you guys totally rock!!!!" at Youth Conference. I'm not kidding. Ok, so it wasn't really YOUTH conference, but there were bunk beds, boys, DDR, sand pit volley ball and a testimony meeting. We went to the military base religious retreat center and had a singles conference. We listened to our guest speaker, Barbara Barrington Jones (who's completely convinced me that I need to marry someone who has a good second last name possibility) and played theater sports (which reminded me that I'm not very good at improv comedy. sigh.)

5. I'm a little weirded out that Korea is NOT a vacation. I'm struggling to understand how to convey the details of my life here to help everyone understand that most of the time, I feel like I'm living in Salt Lake again. The novelty of living overseas seems to have passed. Although I still find funny weird Korea only things, I want to just write about life and how it's the same struggle to understand myself and my motivations that I have anywhere that I live. The location, though a bit more exotic than SLC, has become simply the backdrop of my life rather than the meat of my existence. I miss my friends, but I like life here. I'm settled in. I'm here and I'm not just visiting. This is home. so strange.

so please to accept my apologies! glad to be back.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome back! :*

Left-Handed said...

Hey! Barbara Barrington Jones was in my ward in California when I was in highschool. She was an advisor for beauty pagent contestants and a public speaker among other things. And her daughter was a beautifully desirable songbird.

Once she did a fireside and I remember that she played the Hero song by Mariah Carey and that I learned that if you dry off underneath your arm well enough that you won't get those rashy looking bumps.

I also worked for her for a couple weeks addressing and stuffing envelopes. When I brought back the finished work, she complained that my handwriting looked too big and bubbly and not professional enough. After that, I didn't work for her anymore because I can't have my creativity stifled like that.

lenalou said...

I like reading your blog with or without pictures or Korea-as-novelty vignettes. Nice to have you back online.

Jason and Emily said...

I'm really glad you wrote this. I'm glad to know what's going on with you, yes, without pictures.

I think about you quite often in that I am settling down in SLC and thinking..."Oh my gosh... this is home now." It really is so strange. I remember when you left Portland for SLC and how excited you were about it. I thought it would be the last place on earth that I would go. (Um, woops.) And you made a haven for yourself here. We've traded places actually. You on the front lines of the world, me back at home. Both changing the world for better.

Jason and Emily said...

ok, TRYING to make the world better. The attempts are there... :)

suvi said...

I like reading about your life, even if it isn't all vacation. You still have a fabulous life beacause youa re a fabulous, beautiful girl. Wish the SLC were still home to you, but I suppose we'll share you with the world.

I don't know if i told you, but i'm going to Europe for vacation (exciting things!) and then going to go call New York home for about two years for grad school.