Monday, November 27, 2006

Skinny Girls Eat Soup

It's that time of year FINALLY when I can drown my lunchtime sorrows in bowls and cups and ladles of delicious, nutritious, low calorie, high fiber SOUP!!!! YUM!!! well, it's kind of like, YUM for 5 minutes until the soup in my tummy converts into whatever it is that soup converts to when it stops filling your stomach and leaves you ravenously starving and drooling on your keyboard as you look at pop-up adverts for a $6 burger at Carls Jr.

Today's soup is from Trader Joe's...a corn and roasted red pepper bisquey type thing that is guaranteed to be worth every one of the five minutes that it will fill me up. Do you know about Trader Joe's??? It is hands down the COOLEST store in the universe...multigrain, organic, exotic, cheap food that has been tested by the employees to make sure it's good and free samples that compete competently with Costco. We're talking, double cream brie served with fair-trade grapes and tempura sweet potatos for SAMPLES, people. it's a revolution. It's a revolution that will NEVER come to Salt Lake City. Wah wah wah. So I am reduced to Portland shopping sprees at TJ's when I go home to visit the fam. I get all giddy at trader joes, the same way my dad gets giddy at Guitar Center and my mom nearly cries at a joanne's fabric and my sister pees her pants at Toys R Us. This time, I had an extra suitcase so I loaded 'er up with wasabi peas, multigrain tortilla chips, pirate's booty (don't ask), soba noodles, spinach simmer sauce, trail mix and of course SOUP SOUP SOUP!!!

Traders Joes and soup are my ticket to a smaller pant size before christmas. You know I'm not lying. Look around you...the skinny girls are all having soup for lunch.

PS.. I got an IPOD!!! a big one. It is a refurbished 20GB and it melts my heart when it plays morrissey for me.

9 comments:

Hey, It's Ansley said...

You know of my love for TJs and how that was one of the the biggest minuses for moving to SLC.

PIrate's Booty, ahhh. I used to eat it all the time and some friends and I had a whole commercial for it worked out including one of our gay friends at the end chiming in how much he loved "frooty booty" which is a real product of theirs.

When your TJs supply runs out, let's plan a trip to Vegas to stock up. We'll fill the trunk with coolers. We could sell it on the SLC black market. Then we'd be skinny and rich!

Unknown said...

I so love soup, and not that crappy 0 pt. soup, REAL soup. Are you going to make it Thursday night?

Sara said...

Hmm, pirates booty! not to be mean, well a little bit, but I think I will have to walk over to my neighborhood TJ's and pick me up some.

M.A. said...

Congrats on the IPOD! Has it been named yet?
Pirate's Booty is great- so are smart puffs.

No Trader Joe's (or Whole Foods) in Oklahoma either- so I feel your pain. (Though SLC will probably get a Trader Joe's well before Oklahoma does)

Did you eat pumpkin soup in Australia? I absolutely love it and miss it. The closest I can find here in the states is butternut squash soup which is good (though my girlfriend thinks it's gross) but it isn't as good as pumpkin. I've made pumpkin soup myself a couple of times- but it's a lot of effort and I'm usually too lazy.

I love soup, but you can't it it as a real meal by itself. At minimum you need some good bread with soup. (though I suppose that's why trying to have it as a real meal would lead to weight loss)

Jessica said...

I am eating soup today. But I don't think it's gonna make me skinny...see I made it, so I know that I put butter, marscapone, rice and lots of chicken bullion in it!

Jessica said...

oh but all my ingredients were bought at Trader Joes!

Adam said...

Grats on the new iPod! The click-wheel is a beautiful thing, and I can say that my life is better because of it.

Marie said...

I'm with Jessica -- the best soups (except most butternut squash recipes and Ansley's lovely chowder) will not make you skinny. That accursed tomato basil soup will leave you both hungry and fat -- four servings contains four tomatoes, four cups tomato juice, 1/2 cup butter, 1 cup heavy cream, and enough basil to convince yourself it's vaguely "healthy." Ya. I started making it because I felt guilty blowing so much money every winter on tomato soup from The Soup Kitchen. Now that I realize how much junk goes into a bowl of good tomato cream, I can hardly look at the stuff. Maybe if I jog in place while I make it...

Marie said...

In fact, my favorite Little Golden Book is "The Tawny, Scrawny Lion" about a lion who chases after other animals all day but can't seem to catch enough of them to fatten himself up. The solution is yummy carrot soup offered him by a brave family of chubby, cheerful rabbits. Soon the lion no longer craves meat and is "as fat as butter and as sleek as satin" from his carrot soup addiction.