Monday, March 05, 2007

Why EVERYONE should fly Korean Air







Dear America,


This may come as a shock to you, but I've left you for someone new...KOREA!!!! I arrived finally finally finally after 1 month of hanging around portland waiting for my visa to come through. I shouldn't complain...although I was getting a bit antsy to leave, I really had an amazing time with my family.



AND NOW, I am in seoul. Bundang to be exact..that's where my school is and that's where my friend lumina, the original expat, lives. But wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. I know you want to hear about how I got from one end of the world to the other. The plane ride.


I thought it would be uneventful. I went to seattle with my dad and got on a 1:15 flight direct to seoul. It cost me $50 to take my extra heavy, extra suitcases and I was able to secure an exit row seat on the aisle. A dream come true, right???? Oh, well we knew there had to be something dramatic. I was watching a particularly stirring part of "dreamgirls" on the flight when an adorable korean air flight attendant who could have been earning some extra cash as a gangly model spilled a pot of boiling water on my feet. After flinging my food tray into the aisle and ripping my socks off while screaming ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it turned out that the damage was minimal (thanks to the second pair of airline socks I had put on...coincidence or providence? I'll let you decide) . Two bags of ice, a DOCTOR, some sun-burn cream????and more than 15 (I counted) concerned stops to check on my feet with a flashlight and STILL they decided I needed additional first-aid. And that's when they ( I say they because there were THREE people) started wrapping. and wrapping. and wrapping. I was giggling like a wasted co-ed the whole time without anyone to share in my glee. And when they were done, I had more bandages on my feet than a double amputee. Just look...







Ah, it looks serious, doesn't it? Enough so that they hounded me for my address and phone number (which I shamefully did not even know)and kept sending a very cute male flight attendant to smooth things over in english. He told me that I could learn Korean quickly if I got a Korean boyfriend. I asked him in very quick and stealth english if the airline would provide one as compensation for my pain... I think he said yes... And how was my foot, really?








Totally and completely fine.

AHHHHH korea...I think we will get along just fine.

2 comments:

Regirlfriend said...

Your ankles have a 3 inch circumference.

I have a violin teacher now, in hopes that by the time you want to come back to the USA in a couple decades, maybe I'll be ready to play with you.

I miss you!

luminainfinite said...

what a happy memory...already! I'm so glad you are here!